Stuffed Peppers with Turkey & Rice ~ A Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Egg Free Recipe
Serves: 6 peppers
• 6 large sweet peppers (red, yellow, orange)
• 1- 1.25 lbs ground turkey or chicken
• ½ cup water
• ½ tsp. dried mustard
• ½ tsp. garlic powder
• ½ tsp. cumin
• ½ tsp. sea salt
• fresh ground pepper, to taste
• ½ cup chicken broth
• 2-4 Tbsp. chicken broth per pepper
• ¾ cup carrots, finely chopped
• 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
• ¾ cup red onion, finely chopped
• 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
• 1 cup white or brown rice, uncooked
• 1 tsp. salt
• 2 cups water
• cheddar or gruyere cheese, if desired
1. In a small saucepan, add 1 cup uncooked white or brown rice, 2 cups of water, and 1 tsp. salt if desired. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover with a lid. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, brown the ground turkey/chicken over medium high heat with ½ cup water to keep turkey moist. Season with dry mustard powder, garlic powder, cumin, sea salt and some fresh ground pepper. Once turkey/chicken is browned, turn heat to low and add ½ cup chicken broth, to keep moist and add extra flavor.
3. While turkey or chicken is browning, in a small skillet saute carrots, celery and red onion until tender and then add to browned turkey/chicken.
4. Cut the top off each sweet pepper, at least ½ inch from the top. Fill each pepper with rice, about ⅓ full. Then fill with the turkey or chicken If you are going to add cheese, only fill to about ⅛ inch from the top. Drizzle about 1-2 Tbsp. of extra chicken broth over the top of the meat, allowing it to soak the turkey and rice. If desired top with about 2 Tbsp. shredded cheese.
5. Place each pepper into a 9×12 baking dish. If baking with cheese, place the top of the pepper off to the side of each pepper. If baking without the cheese, place the top of the pepper over the meat to help prevent the meat from drying out.
6. Place in oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and peppers are tender. If desired, drizzle 1-2 Tbsp. of chicken broth over the top of the meat when you remove the pan from the oven.